6.02.2008

Baseball Classic

I spent all day Saturday shooting a high school baseball tournament at the new Nationals Park which inevitably took me down memory lane. From about the ages of 4 to 11, I was heavy into little league baseball. Then one year, in the 6th grade, the coaches were calling to see if I wanted to play that year. And somehow, I decided that I had better things to do that year. I told my mom to decline the invitation and there goes the end of my baseball career...oh what could have been.

Anyway, DC Mayor Adrian Fenty was there in all of his mayoral glory at the first annual Congressional Bank DC Baseball Classic, giving speeches, shaking hands, and throwing out first pitches (but sadly not from the mound).



If I continued my illustrious baseball career, I probably would have hit this pitch into the seats behind him.

In the middle of the Wilson vs. McKinley Tech game a thunderstorm including a torrential downpour of rain and about five minutes of hail halted the game and emptied the stadium.


So I wandered around the stadium and up to the press box to find this shattered but still in tact window looking down at the field and no doubt broken by a Major League foul ball (or a frustrated sports writer, but who knows).

After a called game and a shortened All Star game the championship went on as scheduled. The winners were these guys in red. Shout out to St. Alban's.

No comments: